Wednesday 11 March 2009

Band surgery - Tue 10 Mar 2009

Posted by Picasa
My gastric band surgery was booked for Tuesday 10 Mar 2009 at the First Trust hospital in Preston. I travelled over by train on Monday and went to the hospital to have my bllod done. The hospital is a small private facility with 22 rooms a few miles out of Preston. The Ibis hotel is only a 10 min walk away although you have to drag your case under the motorway subway.
I went to the hospital on Tuesday morning for 8am and was escoted to my private room with en suite. I changed into my paper pj's and waited to see the surgeon, 5 people were being banded that day and I was number 3 however I did have a delay as due to problems with my blood samples a further sample was taken and sent off to Blackpool hospital for analysis . My blood platelets were down which is what makes your blood clot, a further discussion with the surgeon and we wre ready to go. The staff nurses at the hospital were lovely, I eventually was taken down to theatre about 3pm and the op went well and was straight forward. When I came round I was monitored by one of the nurses before being taken back to my room. The tube that is put down your throat during surgery makes your voice a bit rough for a while after and I was not uncomfortable as given painkillers. The aneatatist came to see me and advised me that I suffered from sleep apnea where I stopped breathing whilst sleeping so hopefully with continued sustained weight loss this will be another ailment that is cured.
The only real pain I got was with the trapped wind. We stayed in hospital overnight and due to my sleep apnea I was checked regularly through the night. The following day the only problem was the trapped wind which gave me acute pain in my shoulder. It was a releif to return home on Wednesday. My stomach is swollen following surgery but my shoulder hurts that much i'm not really aware of any pain in my tummy area. I went to bed at approx 1.30am thinking I was going to be in for a long night,I propped myself up in bed and felt the strain on my stomach wounds as I lay down and my shoulder began to hurt. Anyway I had a heqted whey bean bag so tried to get in a comfy position and amazingly fell almost straight to sleep and awoke at 6.50am on Thursday - Great

2 comments:

  1. Weight loss is exciting because you can watch yourself transform right before your own eyes. However, it has to be done right. When done right, the results are amazing. You will feel better, look better, you are adding years onto your life, you are doing your family an amazing favor, and life is going to be better in general.


    http://www.gastric-banding-surgery.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks its exactly as you say

    ReplyDelete